Skip to main content

Brudeferden i Hardanger (The Bridal Party in Hardanger)

Director: Rasmus Breistein
Year: 1926
Run time: 1 hr 44 min
Source: Bootleg DVD

This Norwegian film was inspired by a famous painting of the same name, a beautiful fjord with two traditional wedding boats carrying a bride and groom.


Even if the film did nothing besides recreating this scene, it would be an evocative testament to the beauty of Norway.  But there's a great melodrama that takes place around the titular procession, one of the sweetest and saddest romances on the list so far.  These great fjords are somehow the perfect setting for telling an epic tale of romantic betrayal that spans decades.  (This is a film category that needs a Wikipedia page - the only other great fjord movie that comes to my mind is the 2015 catastrophe film, The Wave, which also uses its setting to great effect.)

I don't have too much else to say about this (I did like the film a great deal), except to remark that Norway has been on my mind a lot lately, since I'm heavily invested in Knausgaard's great six-volume memoir.  It is a place I would very much like to visit soon, and though cinematic tourism is not the most satisfying, I found this movie did justice to its country, and I'm hoping that we get a fair number of Norwegian films in this list.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Cat Concerto

Directors: William Hanna and Joseph Barbera Year: 1947 I'm sure it's no coincidence that music plays such a strong role in many of the animated films featured on the list. By this point, there's nothing especially novel about this Tom and Jerry  short by another great animation studio led by Hanna and Barbera, except that the execution is so spot-on. This is eight minutes of pure delight. 

The Land Beyond The Sunset

Director: Harold M. Shaw Year: 1912 Runtime: 0:14 Source: Youtube This is a great short film to watch if you're spending a hot summer in the city.  It was made by a little-known director as something of a PSA about the Fresh Air Fund, a non-profit which let inner-city children vacation in the countryside. (It's still going strong today!) A poor young newsie with an endearingly tattered cap gets to take a break from child labor and parental abuse, and join a group of kids for one day in the great outdoors. In many ways this would be the prototype of the heartwarming Pixar short, if the ending wasn't so poignant and bittersweet.  It's such a simple little film, but one that's absolutely worth 14 minutes of your life.

I Walked With A Zombie

Director: Jacques Torneur Year: 1943 Run-time: 1 hr 9 min - If I were a snarky Youtube reviewer, I would subtitle this movie " Jane Eyre , with added sexism and racism". And there is some truth to that - the "wife in the attic" becomes the titular zombie, but her fate is largely due to her own desires to run away. Also, although Torneur takes a more honest look at the effects of colonialism and slavery than any contemporary film, the needs of the schlock-horror setup means that, yes, the powers of voodoo are actually real. Ultimately, this was a fascinating film, but a deeply flawed one. Torneur has a wide oeuvre, though, so I have rising hopes for the others of his films on the list.